Tasty eaten raw. Flavour intensifies when cooked.
Barbecued Mushroom and Spinach Pizzettes
Pitas make these individual pizzas a breeze to create for a nutritious light meal or snack.
Recipe and image courtesy of Mushrooms Canada.
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 large fresh Portabella mushroom caps
- 4 6-7" (15-17 cm) whole wheat pita breads
- 1/3 cup of sun-dried tomato pesto
- 4 cups of baby spinach or arugula leaves (2 oz/60 g)
- 1/2 cup of shaved Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
In a small bowl whisk oil and garlic together, lightly brush the mushrooms on both sides with garlic oil. Barbecue mushrooms on high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until mushrooms are slightly softened. Meanwhile place pitas on the barbecue over high heat and cook for 2 minutes on one side or until warmed through. Remove to a tray or cutting board and spread softer side with the tomato pesto. Top with spinach leaves, and then warm mushrooms, stem side up. Return to barbecue and cook for additional 2-3 minutes o until slightly crisp. Garnish with Parmesan shavings. Cut in halves or quarters and serve immediately. Add pepper to taste.