Tasty eaten raw. Flavour intensifies when cooked.
Smoked Turkey and Mushroom Filos
- 1 cup Minced mushrooms
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Sherry
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 3 tbsp Chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup Crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Grated low-fat mozzarella Cheese 1/4 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/4 lbs Finely minced smoked turkey (or ham)
- 15 Sheets filo dough
- 1/3 cup Unsalted butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms, garlic, and onion in sherry and olive oil until soft.
- Add parsley, feta, mozzarella, oregano, thyme, and turkey.
- Remove from heat. Lightly oil two 9 x 12-inch baking sheets.
- Lay filo dough on a clean, dry surface.
- Cut each sheet in half widthwise resulting in 30 smaller sheets.
- Stack them evenly on top of each other, and cover with a piece of plastic wrap and a slightly dampened dish towel as you do the next step. Butter 1 sheet and cut into 3 long strips.
- Lay the 3 strips on top of each other.
- Place about 2 table-spoons of filling in the lower right section near the edge.
- Fold bottom right corner of filo over filling to meet left edge, creating a small triangle.
- Continue folding pastry, as you would a flag, until you reach the top. You will end up with a triangle-shaped pastry.
- Lightly butter top of filled triangle and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat process until all the filling has been used. Bake pastries until golden (20 minutes). Serve warm.