This looks like French onion soup but has the rich mushroom flavour instead of onion. It is...
Handling and care
Mushrooms are perishable and easily bruised. Proper handling and care helps ensure a top quality product. Immediately after harvesting, the mushrooms are moved to a quick cooler, which stops further development and keeps them fresh and firm, closed and healthy in appearance.
Mushrooms are best when used within a few days of purchase, but can be kept up to about one week.
Keep mushrooms in the refrigerator, unwashed, either in a brown paper bag or in an open container that is lined and covered with paper towel. Do not use plastic bags as they lock in unwanted moisture, which is readily absorbed by the mushrooms. If the mushrooms were covered with a cellophane wrap when purchased, remove it and cover mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
Mushrooms are very delicate. Do not stack other food items on top as they tend to bruise easily.
Mushrooms are very porous and absorb moisture. Wipe with a damp cloth or rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Do not wash mushrooms until you are ready to use them as they may discolour.
Sauté with butter or oil in a non-stick skillet, cool slightly, then freeze in an airtight container for up to one month.
To rehydrate dried mushrooms, completely submerge in warm water for 20 to 30 minutes. The soaking liquid can be drained and used to add more flavour to the cooked dish.