Tasty eaten raw. Flavour intensifies when cooked.
Baked Mushroom Topped Brie
Prepare and chill the mushroom topping to have on hand for spur of the moment entertaining. Baking and serving on an oven-proof platter keeps the cheese warm while eating.
Recipe and image courtesy of Mushrooms Canada.
- 1/2 lb of fresh sliced Mushrooms (white or crimini)
- 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 tsp of dried thyme, rosemary and pepper (each)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 wheel of cold Brie cheese (200 g)
- 2 tbsp of finely minced fresh parsley or chives (optional)
Finely chop mushrooms, onions, walnuts and garlic, thyme, rosemary and pepper in food processor.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushroom mixture for 5-7 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated. Stir in vinegar and cook 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature; cover and chill.
At serving time spoon the topping evenly on cut surfaces of Brie. Bake in 350ºF/180 ºC oven for about 8-10 minutes or until cheese is beginning to melt. Sprinkle parsley or chives on top to garnish if desired. Serve with thinly sliced whole wheat baguette or plain crackers.