Tasty eaten raw. Flavour intensifies when cooked.
Marge's Mushroom-Herb Meat Loaf
- 1/2 pound mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 pound ground pork or veal
- 1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 bacon slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Chop onion and mushrooms. Finely chop bell pepper and mince garlic.
- In a heavy skillet melt butter and saute onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, until bell pepper is tender and all liquid given off by mushrooms is evaporated.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl and add chuck, pork or veal, bread crumbs, herbs, salt, egg, and spices, stirring until just combined well.
- In a shallow baking pan form mixture into an 8 x 4-inch oval loaf and arrange bacon slices lengthwise over top.
- Bake meat loaf in middle of oven 50 to 60 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in center registers 160°F.
- Let meat loaf stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve meat loaf with chili sauce or ketchup.