Tasty eaten raw. Flavour intensifies when cooked.
Mushroom Soup au Gratin
This looks like French onion soup but has the rich mushroom flavour instead of onion. It is almost a meal itself so just add a salad and dinner is ready.
Recipe and image courtesy of Mushrooms Canada.
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 12 oz of sliced assorted fresh mushrooms (6 cups/1.5 l) (white, crimini, portabella, shiitake, oyster)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg and pepper (each)
- 4 slices of French bread (1/2"/2.5 cm thick) toasted
- 4 oz of grated or sliced Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
In a large heavy saucepan heat oil over medium high heat; sauté mushrooms, onions and garlic about 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chicken broth, lemon rind, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 to 30 minutes.
Ladle soup into 4 deep ovenproof bowls. Float bread on top; sprinkle with Swiss cheese and Parmesan if using. Place under broiler until bubbly and lightly browned.